Version 1 (current layout)
Dated June 2008, this current layout was created by me, Raine. Here is a list of the features:
- Sonny Terry centre, wearing glasses; taken from a Google image search: I fell in love with Sonny's harmonica style, and gradually his silent sincerity and humility, when I first saw him performing on Pete Seeger's "Rainbow Quest" shows, alongside his musical partner, Brownie McGhee. His style is swift and driving - he can drum you fast and wild, leave you exhausted from the journey.
- Bob Dylan bottom left, white silhouette and the black and white image with a harmonica brace; taken from the Bob Dylan Picture Archive: I heard the harmonica properly for the first time in Dylan's music, and was astonished by the wild and beating sounds in one song, then slow-driving and poetic turns in a soft lovesong. The flexibility of the harmonica fits perfectly with the changing themes in his music. Later, I would learn how many harmonica styles Dylan borrowed from his idols and peers, like most musicians do, but for me his harmonica playing was the first I had heard, and really appreciated.
- Little Walter top right, white silhouette; taken from a Google image search: I know less about Little Walter, but I do know what an accomplished and informative harmonicist he was. He's always on my list of "to look up on". I loved how he grabbed the harmonica so close to his mouth in this picture.
- Steam train bottom right, taken from RibbonRail.com: The extent to which the harmonica can imitate the chugging of a train is irreplaceable - wild turns accompanying railroad stories and fights. In many songs, I confuse reality with the imitation! Long drawn breaths and fast jolts is the recipe.
- Sharp colours everywhere: Since harmonicas make you jump with sharpness, or grow mellow with calm.
Please note: I am highly grateful to the original photographers for taking, and sharing, their photographs (featured in the manipulated header graphic above) with the world. Please visit the site disclaimer page for more details on the use of this photograph in this layout. Otherwise, please do contact me if you have any queries about the layout in general.website validation
If you notice any problems or errors, then please let me know.